Make An Appointment
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (Metabolic)
If you had problems losing weight and you had tried many times without achieving it, you are now in the right place. I am here for you, to instruct you and teach you what you need to know about obesity, weight loss and bariatric procedures like gastric sleeve, gastric bypass and more. I’m based in the Dominican Republic and welcome patients from all around the globe to enjoy a healthier lifestyle. Thank you for taking this time in the search of options to improve your health. Guiding you will be an honor.
CALL TO US: 809-473-6925
What is a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass?
The Roux-en-Y gastric bypass operation has been performed since the late 1960’s to achieve significant weight-loss in people affected by severe obesity. The operation leads to weight-loss as a result of two different mechanisms:
- A small stomach pouch reduces the amount you can eat.
- A small amount of intestine is bypassed leading to earlier release of gut hormones that make you feel less hungry.
How is it performed?
A gastric bypass can be done through a single long incision (open) or through a series of small incisions (laparoscopic). Regardless of how the operation is done, the “inside part” is the same.
The surgery involves three basic steps:
- Dividing the large stomach into two separate stomachs, thus creating a small pouch (proximal pouch of stomach) and a larger excluded lower pouch (remnant pouch of stomach).
- Bypassing part of the small intestine (creating the “Short” Intestinal Roux Limb).
- Attaching the bypassed intestine (Roux Limb) to the proximal pouch.
The operation can usually be done in two hours or less, but this will depend on many factors. Most patients will need to stay in the hospital for two to three days after their operation and should be ready to return to full activity within two weeks.
Why Is Gastric Bypass Surgery Performed?
Those who are severely overweight and cannot lose weight through diet and exercise may turn to gastric bypass surgery.
Undergoing gastric bypass surgery is a serious commitment to a healthier lifestyle — patients must:
- Greatly change their lifestyle.
- Learn to control portion sizes.
- Exercise regularly.
Doctors may perform this procedure on patients with a high Body Mass Index as well as obesity-related health conditions.
Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Long-term weight loss: Many people who undergo gastric bypass surgery experience rapid weight loss following the procedure and continue to lose weight months and years later.
- Reducing or curing a variety of obesity-related illnesses, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
- Improved quality of life and mood: Many people who undergo gastric bypass surgery report a decrease in depression and anxiety, as well as improved self-esteem, sexual function, and social interactions.
WHY CHOOSE US FOR BARIATRIC SURGERY?
We provide pre-surgical evaluations and perform surgical procedures in our main office located at Luis F. Thomén # 457 Dominican Medical Center Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
Obesity is a complex and chronic medical disease. From the clinical history and eating behaviors to a series of psychological concerns, our patients are thoroughly evaluated by a multidisciplinary team. Our team uses the latest in research, technology, nutritional, behavioral and psychological support to provide our patients the best possible care.
Due to our experience with all bariatric surgery options, our experts can accurately recommend the best surgical treatment for each patient.